Saturday, October 24, 2009

Keeping Perspective


Building on my last blog entry on putting personal health expenditures in perspective, I'd like to share a resource with you that I use for keeping the economy's health in perspective.

Just as with a good investment portfolio, it pays to diversify your sources of information. One source in my panoply is Russell Investments' Economic Recovery Dashboard. (Disclosure: I have absolutely no relationship with Russell Investments; I invest with a different financial advisor)

It is an excellent way to quickly view market indicators and economic indicators, for current and lagging trends respectively, in historical context. I don't know a lot of people who can claim to know how the current rate of inflation compares to historical norms, so I find this resource helpful.

I subscribe to their monthly update (I have received no solicitations through them to-date, so I think it's safe) but if you mind giving up your email address they claim to update the data on every 22nd of the month - so bookmark the page and mark your calendar.

Here's the link: http://www.russell.com/Helping-Advisors/Markets/EconomicRecoveryDashboard.asp

No comments: